Saturday, October 11, 2008

Coyote Corgi

I live in a rural area. In the entire valley I live in there are coyotes. IN 38 years I've only seen 2 in the wild. Once I caught the sight of one as it ran away from a road in a more populized area. The second time was only a few months ago. I was driving home and on our road there is a lovely hill that turns and twists as it goes up. Which means you have to slow down. All of a sudden a coyote darts out to cross in front of me. The coyote had the most comical expression on its face as it realized we may not miss each other. We did by probably an inch.

Last night we had more evidence of them. 3:30am and we were all asleep. Even Peanut the wonder corgi. Her hearing however caught the faint sound of coyotes yapping and howling.. so off she went full force to the living room to listen at her window. Joe and I woke up of course and were lying there thinking she heard a deer walking... then we heard the faint howling. It gave me chills.

I got up to fix Peanut's window. It was open and although it has a screen, she had been known to push it open and escape. I was not in the mood to chase her or have her safety risked. I went out and closed and locked it. She gave me such a sad look. I just ruffled her fur and told her "not tonight coyote girl" and we went back to sleep.

3 comments:

ncp said...

I am in shock!!! Total shock!! You should have had lots of Coyote's at your mothers house.
I can't even begin to count how many times I have seen coyote's. You must get out more ;)

Mama Duck said...

hahahaha...i probably never paid that much attention.

and I'll pass on going out more to commune with the coyotes, lol

ncp said...

Oh come on!! It would be fun to go out and play with the coyote's! :)